Provides for all the audio needs of the Lehigh University Music Department. Audio needs include live recording, audio editing and CD mastering (where necessary) of departmental concerts by students and faculty, sound reinforcement and upkeep of computers and programs used in musical score production. Teaches one undergraduate class per semester in music technology. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Records musical performances, rehearsals and new composition readings of student works for the Lehigh Music Department *Draws upon extensive knowledge and experience, critical listening skills and independent artistic judgement in placing microphones and operating recording equipment to capture music and spoken sound in stereo *Draws upon extensive knowledge and experience, critical listening skills, and independent artistic judgement in placing microphones and operating recording equipment to capture music and spoken sound in a multi-track recording *Stays informed of current trends in audio technology and evaluates recording needs for the Zoellner Arts Center *Operates computer equipment for data backup and information management
2. Teaches one 3-credit class per semester in music technology and supervises occasional independent study and capstone projects in recording *Supervises the independent projects produced by the students *Schedule hours for independent student work; the studio is a locked space available at limited times due to heavy rehearsal use of the spaces surrounding it
3. Manage and instruct the student crew necessary when both recording and sound reinforcement are required at Music Department events *Organizes schedule of student crew and track hours worked *Instructs the student crew in best practices for sound reinforcement and the use of specific equipment owned by Lehigh University *Instructs the student crews in the specific requirements for specific events
4. Edits and mixes musical performances, rehearsals, and new composition readings of student works for the Lehigh Music Department *Uses critical listening skills and aesthetic judgement to mix multi-track recordings using mixing consoles, equalizers, compressors, reverb units, gates and other effect devices *Edits and masters audio recordings using a digital audio workstation such as pro tools or similar technology *Stays informed of current trends in audio technology and evaluates audio recording needs for the Music Department
5. Provides live sound reinforcement services for Music Department rehearsals and performances where they are required *Draws upon extensive experience and knowledge and utilizes critical listening skills to place microphones or direct workers in placing microphones in locations that ensure quality of sound reproduction *Uses critical listening skills to blend the output of multiple microphones by adjusting mixer controls to ensure quality of sound reproduction *Operates audio equipment such as equalizers, reverb units, compressors, gates and multi-effects processors to ensure quality sound reproduction *Monitors audio signals by loudspeaker, headphones and meters to verify quality of sound reproduction *Utilizes signal routing knowledge to patch audio signals for complex front-of-house, stage monitor and recording requirements *Assists with the purchase, installation and maintenance of sound reinforcement equipment *Works cooperatively with a diverse group of faculty, students and guest artists as well as colleagues on the Zoellner arts technical staff
6. Maintain and upgrade computers and software devoted to digital music writing and sequencing programs; purchase, install and maintain audio equipment for the Music Department *Installs upgrades of the music writing programs on all computers as they become available *Maintains MIDI connections for all digital music work stations *Maintains and upgrades printing capabilities for music writing programs *Assesses computer needs and recommends repairs or upgrades *Determines equipment needs and develops long-term strategy for upgrading recording and sound reinforcement capabilities *Stays informed of current trends in audio and computer technology *Does basic maintenance and installations work on all audio equipment
Position Number: S73280
Grade: 9-40; $46,320-$54,340 (based on working 10 months per year)
This is an approximate range and is subject to change based on experience, skills and qualifications.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing an accommodation for any part of the interview or hiring process may contact Lehigh's Accommodations Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Will nearly continuously need to hear, stand, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance, use hands to reach, touch, handle or feel, lift up to 25 pounds
This position is staffed 10 months per year, having off the months of June and July
Occasional travel is required
Occasional evening, holiday or weekend hours
This position works with minors
High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience; Bachelor's Degree in Music, Audio Technology, Recording or Production preferred
Three to five years of related work experience
Knowledge of music editing software (Sibelius, Pro Tools, Reaper, Logic or other programs used in recording instruction and editing); background in acoustical recording and sound reinforcement best practices.
Extensive technical experience preferred
Strong interpersonal, writing, presentation and facilitation skills; experience leading classes preferred
Flexible and responsive, with the ability to juggle competing responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
Excellent computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.
SPE US Office 100 Reserve Rd. Suite B310
Danbury, CT 06810
P +1 203.740.5400
F +1 203.740.5405
P +32 498 85 07 32
SPE Middle East Section Office N. ESO:14
Sheikh Rashid Tower
Dubai World Trade Center
P.O. Box 9204