The Center for Open Research Resources and Equipment () at the University of Connecticut seeks applicants for the position of Senior Machine Shop Engineer (UCP 8) within the Mechanical/Glass: Design and Fabrication facility (). The facility supports academic research through consultation, engineering, manufacturing, design, and repairs.
The Senior Machine Shop Engineer with work with faculty and researchers at the University to assist in the process of conducting research and to contribute to the design and fabrication of highly customized scientific components, instruments, equipment and prototypes in research and development (R & D).
The successful candidate will be a highly skilled and creative technician with a comprehensive, integrated fabrication background, who is motivated to maintain and grow the already successful, and widely utilized, fee-based facility. The position will provide ample opportunity to work with UConn researchers from across a variety of disciplines, creating prototype apparatus out of metal, wood, sheet metal, plastics and ceramics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Independently design, develop and fabricate from original design, print, sketch or verbal/conceptual description, complex high-precision mechanical equipment, models and instruments as specified or required for special research applications, requiring the skill level of a model maker.
Provide consulting service, discussing projects with faculty members, students, and researchers; devise or design experimental projects, equipment or apparatus to meet needs; provide manpower to University activities.
Evaluate and advise faculty, researchers, staff, technicians and students on equipment and component capabilities and performance; recommend appropriate equipment for experimental purposes.
Ensure that all safety procedures are followed
Perform routine maintenance on facility equipment to ensure safe and proper function.
Diagnose, repair, or rebuild research equipment and instruments as required.
Maintain shop facilities, including ensuring the shop is sufficiently stocked; evaluate functions; make recommendations on current and future operations.
Resolve complex design and malfunction problems of mechanical and scientific equipment.
Other related duties, as assigned.
1. BA/BS degree, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
2. At least three years of shop experience at the level of model maker.
3. Familiarity with a variety of materials, such as metals, alloys and plastics.
4. Experience with programming and operating CNC equipment.
5. Ability to design and manufacture components/equipment based on blueprints, sketches, oral descriptions and performance requirements.
6. Thorough knowledge of safety procedures.
7. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
1. Experience working in an academic environment.
2. Experience working in a research or R&D environment.
3. Experiences maintaining strict tolerances in construction, including familiarity with what tolerances are possible using a given piece of equipment, and what additional time and instrumentation may be required to guarantee them.
4. Ability to work within defined project schedules, manage multiple simultaneous projects, and multitask effectively.
5. Ability to find innovative solutions to design and construction problems that might otherwise not be feasible with existing shop equipment.
6. Experience with prototyping and one-of-a-kind work.
7. Experience with TIG and MIG Welding.
8. Strong computer skills; ability to work with multiple CAD systems, and transfer design information between them.
9. Experience collaborating with non-machinists on designs. Ability to serve clients with a broad range of expertise, from an experienced designer to someone with no prior knowledge of CAD or machining.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with comprehensive state benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, and tuition benefits. For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/.
Applications must be submitted through the UConn Jobs website: www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, and should include a cover letter, detailed resume, preferred contact information, and the names and contact information for three (3) references. Supplemental application or portfolio materials that demonstrate how the requirements of the position are met are encouraged to be included as part of the application.
All minimum qualifications must be met in order to be considered for this position.
The target start date for this position is September 28, 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.
For confidential inquiries or additional information, please contact:
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Internal Number: 2019037
About University of Connecticut
The University of Connecticut is one of the nation's leading public research universities. UConn's main campus in Storrs is admitting the highest-achieving freshmen in University history. Student diversity continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice.
BACK TO TOP
SPE Career Solutions is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else SPE Membership has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at SPE Career Solutions.
For questions regarding the career site, please call 888-491-8833. At prompt please press 4. The extension is 1063. Thank you!